Subscribe:

Labels

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Frustration

I'm taking a break from my regularly scheduled programming today for a self-indulgent whine.

Why do I read reviews? I don't know. I guess I'm just a masochist at heart. It seems for every good review I get of Spirit World, I get something negative. I try to take criticism as constructive and use it to figure out what I could do to improve my writing. Today, I just want to vent, so please indulge me.

The latest review said some nice things, but mentioned my grammar as a weak point. Okay, I've gone over it with a fine tooth comb and have had several people in my writing group critique it for me as well. Aside from that, I am teacher and I know grammar. If there are errors in there, I assure you they are intentional.* The novel is written in first person, and thoughts as well as dialogue are not always grammatically correct. End rant.

Thanks for listening, and I will be back on Thursday with another short story. Also, I promise not to whine again at least until I get my review from Publisher's Weekly. After that, I can't make any promises. =)

*That said, if you have read it and found a missed comma or something, I am of course willing to listen.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Critiques are hard to read. The toughest part of being writers has to be hearing negative feedback on our work. We all go through it, and it sucks!

If you're like me, you'll wallow some in the ucky feelings, but eventually you'll find grains of truth that make your work stronger. And I know from personal experience, as I'm sure you do to, that some reviewer comments are inaccurate or irrelevant with regard to your MS. Only embrace what you find helpful and disregard the rest!

I haven't yet, but I plan to invest in the Chicago Manuel of Style. Here's the URL for their online stylebook, if you don't have it already: http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/home.html

Thinking of you!

Unknown said...

Hang in there!!! I'm glad you are still standing strong with your work and sometimes you have to take those things with a grain of salt! Critiques can be so hard sometimes!

Post a Comment